Thursday 15 July 2010

Pavement

Morning guys, how are you today?

This blog post has been a long time coming. It’s about Pavement. Everybody loves Pavement. I know, you know, everyone knows. However, being the stupid and rebellious girl I am, I always refused to fully embrace them. At college, everyone loved them, I was into Britpop. At uni everyone loved them and wore their T-Shirts, I was into Refused. It was that sort of anti-reaction that I sometimes get when people keep telling me how great some band/designer/person is and I just cannot help disliking them. Strange shit.




Anyway to cut a long story short. I have now grown up and finally listened to Pavement for the first time properly. And I have to say I’m digging them. Bloody brilliant lyrics, a lovely sense of DIY ethics, a fascinatingly dissonant voice and melodies that will define what ‘indie’ really means for generations to come.

So in order to cherish my blossoming love affair with Pavement, I have come up with a top 4 list of things I love about them.

Lyrics: “So drunk in the August sun and you're the kind of girl I like because you're empty and I’m empty and you can never quarantine the past” or “Darlin' don't you go and cut your hair. Do you think it's gonna make him change? "I'm just a boy with a new haircut" And that's a pretty nice haircut” Fucking brilliant.

Underdog appeal: It’s the old story of the band, which was never really commercially successful during their time, but nonetheless achieved a cult following and influenced generations of musicians to come. Their only moderate commercial success defines them as the typical underdog, and let’s face it, we all love an underachiever.

Geek chic: Fuck Weezer and fuck Ben Folds. Is it a coincidence that nerdy Seth Cohen loves Pavement? Don’t think so. Pavement are the ultimate misunderstood geeks and I love it.

Tunes: Find a lovely Pavement playlist here with all my fave tunes!



No comments:

Post a Comment